Telecom worker electrocuted in UK
A communications worker was electrocuted last week while working from an aerial work platform on the A-16 road in Lincolnshire, UK.
The man, 34, was working for a sub-contractor to telecommunications company BT Openreach on Friday, when he is reported to have come into contact with overhead power lines on the A-16 road near Crowland. He was pronounced dead at the scene. Police are working with the Health & Safety Executive to establish what happened.
BT Openreach issued a bulletin to all managers and engineers that work on the company’s overhead network reminding them of all the safety guidance, regulations, distance advice and tools for when working near power lines. The company also issued the following statement: “Everyone should go home every day safe and well, so it’s with immense sadness we’re sharing the news that an engineer with one of our sub-contractors was involved in a fatal accident last Friday, 3 January 2020. The accident happened in Lincolnshire and the police and HSE are now carrying out a detailed investigation. Our thoughts and sympathy go out to the person’s family, friends and colleagues at what is undoubtedly a very upsetting time.”
“There are very few details available to share at this time as this is an ongoing investigation, but we do know that the individual came into contact with high voltage cables whilst operating an aerial work platform. If it is appropriate to do so, we’ll share any learning from this tragic incident. Please, out of respect for their family, do not speculate on the circumstances of the accident on social media. This loss of life is a reminder of genuine dangers and risks involved when working in the vicinity of power; there are no second chances.”