Platform electrocution in UK
A man died in an incident on Monday involving an aerial work platform at the Willand Biogas site near Cullompton, Devon, in the UK.
The man, Carl Paul Parsons, 34, was working from the platform along with a colleague when they came into contact with an overhead power line. The man died at the scene from injuries suffered from the electric shock, while his work mate was taken to hospital for assessment but was not seriously injured.
A statement from the local police said: "Police were called to Station Road, Willand Industrial Estate, at around 9.50am yesterday, Monday 1 June, with reports that two men operating a cherry picker had been injured when it collided with an overhead electricity cable. A 34 year old man was pronounced dead at the scene and a 32 year old man was taken to hospital for assessment. The deceased’s next of kin have been informed.”
Willand Biogas said: "We were very sorry to learn of the tragic death of a contractor on site. Our thoughts and sympathies are with the friends and family of the deceased at this difficult time. The attaining and maintaining of the highest standards of health and safety management is a priority for Willand Biogas and we will be co-operating with the ongoing investigation by the Health and Safety Executive to the fullest possible extent. In view of that ongoing investigation it is not appropriate for us to comment further at this stage."