Electric Spierings for Bernard Hunter

Scottish rental company Bernard Hunter Mobile Cranes has ordered the Spierings SK487-AT3, Scotland’s first electric self erecting mobile tower crane.

The SK487-AT23 City Boy has a maximum capacity of seven tonnes at a radius of 11.96 metres and a maximum radius of 40 metres at which it can handle 1,700kg. It offers four tower heights - 21, 24, 27 and 30 metres - and jib luffing angles of 15, 30 and 45 degrees for a maximum lift height of 55.45 metres. It can be operated as a full battery electric machine, and used as a plug in hybrid model with a low emission Euro 6 diesel. The new crane will be delivered mid next year.
Spierings SK487-AT3

Managing director Mark Rafferty said: “Our new Spierings electric mobile tower crane will keep us one step ahead of Scotland’s forthcoming city low emissions zones. The City Boy gives us the potential to drive into Edinburgh in full electric mode. Once the vehicle is safely parked in its designated lifting position, we can plug it into the grid to work as a 100 percent electric crane throughout the day. This will deliver zero emissions for an entire day’s work.”

“The City Boy will revolutionise urban operations for our company with its four different tower heights, compact dimensions and all wheel steer, delivering unparalleled manoeuvrability and versatility.”

Established in 1946, Bernard Hunter is based in Edinburgh and runs a fleet of All Terrain, mobile tower, crawler, truck and spider cranes topped by a 500 tonner. The company says that 90 percent of its fleet meets Euro 6 emissions standards, with the remaining 10 percent due to either be replaced or converted by the end of 2021.