A man was electrocuted yesterday in Houston, Texas, while installing overhead lights from an aerial work platform.
The man was working for the Houston Parks and Recreation Department and working on floodlights which appear to be mounted to the top of the same pole that carries power lines. He was using a large three axle utility truck with what appears to be insulated platform, but clearly if so, did not help the stricken man. The emergency services arrived with a fire ladder and once the power was fully deactivated, they brought the man down, but sadly it was too late, and he was declared dead at the scene.
The flood lights are next to the Melrose Park Community Centre which serves as a polling station but had to be closed following the incident.
The video below shows the machine and the rescue
The mayor Sylvester Turner said: A city worked was installing lights in the park when he was killed as a result of a tragic work related incident. It is suspected that he had been electrocuted. My prayers are with the employee’s family and colleagues, and I ask all Houstonians to keep them in your prayers.”
A spokesman for CenterPoint Energy added: "the individual was working on customer owned equipment... to install lighting at the park."